Injuries, cavities, and infections can all play a role in a person losing their teeth. When teeth are missing, a person can feel embarrassed of their smile. In the past, bridges or dentures were the only means of replacing a tooth and completing a smile. Today, there are Dental Implants Effingham IL. Implants are the closest replica of natural teeth and they blend in perfectly with a person’s smile. It is important a person understands whether or not they will be a good candidate since this procedure requires surgery to start the process.
• A person must be in good overall health because surgery will need to be carried out. Those who smoke, drink excessively, or have diabetes will find it more difficult to properly heal after the procedure has been carried out.
• The candidate for dental implants must have a solid bone structure in the jaw. If there is not adequate bone tissue, the implant will not be able to fuse properly and will not become strong enough for normal function. In some cases, a dentist can use a bone graft or a mini alternative for implants. X-rays are the best diagnostic tool for determining bone growth.
• Patients must have healthy gums to be considered for Dental Implants Effingham IL. Dental implant failure often occurs in patients who are at risk or have gum disease.
• If a patient suffers from bruxism, they can damage an implant and cause it to become dislodged. Teeth clenching and grinding can dramatically reduce the success rate of dental implant procedures.
• One must have good oral hygiene skills to ensure they are committed to protecting the health of their smile. Brushing, flossing, and regular dental visits will help to ensure the implant stays in place and no issues begin to arise.
If you would like to learn if you are a good candidate to receive dental implants, contact The Center For Jaw and Facial Surgery P.C. They can schedule you for a consultation appointment to ensure you are the right candidate for the procedure. At this appointment, you can receive all of the answers to questions you may have so you can make a sound decision.