If you’re looking for a solution to restore the look and function of a damaged or decayed tooth, a dental crown may be the right option. To make the right choice, you must learn everything about tooth crowns in Philadelphia, PA, including their benefits, the procedure, and aftercare.
What Is a Tooth Crown?
A tooth crown is a dental restoration that covers the entire visible portion of a damaged or decayed tooth above the gum line. It’s typically made of porcelain, ceramic, or metal alloys and can be customized to match the color and shape of your natural teeth.
Benefits of Tooth Crowns
Tooth crowns offer several benefits, including:
- Restoring the function of a damaged or decayed tooth
- Improving the appearance of a misshapen or discolored tooth
- Protecting a weakened tooth from further damage
- Supporting a dental bridge or covering a dental implant
The Tooth Crown Procedure
Getting a tooth crown typically involves two visits to your dentist. During the first visit, your dentist will prepare the damaged tooth by removing decayed or damaged parts and shaping the remaining tooth structure to fit the crown. They’ll also take impressions of your teeth to create a custom crown that fits perfectly.
While the crown is made in a dental laboratory, you’ll wear a temporary crown to protect the tooth. You will need to schedule a second appointment to remove the temporary crown and install the permanent one when it’s ready.
Aftercare for Tooth Crowns
After getting a tooth crown, it’s essential to take care of it to ensure it lasts as long as possible. Here are some aftercare tips:
- Brush and floss regularly to keep the crown and surrounding teeth clean.
- Avoid chewing on hard foods or using your teeth to open packages or bottles.
- Visit your dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings.
If you need a tooth crown in Philadelphia, PA, visit the Absolute Smile.