One of the most important services that General Dentistry in Salem OR can provide for a family is protecting a child’s smile. The best way to ensure that kids will have beautiful, healthy teeth as an adult is to catch problems early and teach good oral hygiene habits when they’re young.
Here are some tips about your child’s happy smile.
* It’s normal for a baby to be fussy when the first teeth begin to appear, usually at about 6 months of age. Cool helps with teething pain. Soak a washcloth in water or chamomile tea and chill in the refrigerator. A chilled pacifier can also be helpful, but don’t freeze it as this could damage the gums.
* If a teething infant experiences fever, vomiting or diarrhea, call the pediatrician.
* Letting a baby sleep with a bottle allows the sugars in the milk or juice to remain in the mouth, encouraging cavity-causing bacteria. These bacteria can also pass from one person to another if a spoon or pacifier is first put in a sibling’s or parent’s mouth and then given to the baby.
* The first visit to the dentist should be when the child is one.
* Expect four new teeth every six months until the child is three, when he or she should have all of their primary teeth.
* Small gaps may appear between the teeth after the child is four. The facial and jaw bones are growing, making space for the larger permanent teeth.
* Most kids stop sucking their thumbs before age four. Praise for not sucking is more often effective than scolding. Try to find out why the child feels anxious.
* Follow the 2×2 rule for toothbrushing: a thorough brushing for two minutes, twice a day. Make sure they spit out the toothpaste.
* Until a child is 12, they will have both primary and permanent teeth. The first adult teeth are the molars.
* Regular appointments for General Dentistry in Salem OR will find any developing problems, such as an uneven bite or overcrowding. This doesn’t mean that the child would need braces immediately, but the need for future treatment would be identified and planned for.
Dr. Thomas Dugan and Dr. Scott Howe are dedicated to offering high-quality Cosmetic and General Dentistry in Salem OR to patients of all ages. Riverfront Dental combines friendly service with advanced technology. They look forward to providing General Dentistry in Salem OR to your whole family.